Thursday 14 October 2021

Why I abstained on Pride Flag motion last night

 I am acutely aware of how strongly people feel about this matter.  I am also acutely aware that a person's motivations can be easily misconstrued accidently, or in the field of politics, maliciously.  Therefore I wanted to set down my reasons for abstaining on last night's vote on a motion relating to West Lancashire Pride.

I abhor hatred and the actions which such an emotion often generates.  Everyone in our society, from the moment of conception to natural death has the rightful expectation to be treated with respect.  Equally, I consider I have a duty to show respect in my dealings with others, though I know I may
sometimes fall short.

I am Vice Chairman of the Birchwood Centre in Skelmersdale.  I am proud that we support those people who most need our help irrespective of their background or characteristics.  That includes LGBT young people. 

On that basis I had no problem with supporting items 2, 3 and 4 in the motion (relating to hate crime reporting; hate crime awareness week and the use of council offices on the same basis as other community groups by the West Lancashire Pride Group).

My concern came with item 1 which sought to purchase and fly a Pride flag over the council offices every June.

I asked council officers what our flag flying policy is.  It appears we don't have one, as I haven't received a reply to my question.  We fly the Union Flag and the Flag of St George as our national flags.

When it comes to flying other flags I believe that the starting point would be to consult the public on a flag flying policy as other councils have done.  

There are considerations of fairness and practicality.  What about showing our support for people with disabilities by flying a flag?  Or Black Lives Matter?  Or what about support for women facing violence from men - topical in the wake of the Sarah Everard case?  Or more prosaically, the local heritage group or Association of local funeral directors?  How does the council decide if it doesn't first consult local people on a flag flying policy?   

Flying flags needs to be a source of cohesion.  In the run up to the Brexit referendum it would surely have been unwise for the council to fly the EU flag given the division in society?  Last night the council singled out one section of the community.  I am very aware of the abuse: verbal, mental and physical that people who are perceived as different have to face in our society and here in West Lancashire.  However, I'm not convinced that the decision made will help the situation of those members of the LGBTQIA+ community locally who suffer injustice and hate. 

There are some in favour of flying the Pride Flag whose views I would object to and equally there are some who oppose the flying of the flag whose views I find objectionable.  This blog post is an attempt to explain my reasoning and avoid others ascribing views to me that I do not hold.



No comments:

Post a Comment

26% of council staff dissatisfied - this latest move will only cause that figure to rise

Why is a Labour council eliminating the role of councillors in hearing appeals when council officers are facing the sack or demotion?  No o...